CATHERINE & NICOLE’S WORLD FAMOUS CHOCOLATE EXTRAVAGANZA BROWNIE CAKE RECIPE
Posted by Catherine Morgan on March 22, 2007
CATHERINE & NICOLE’S WORLD FAMOUS (easy to make) TRIPLE-DECKER CHOCOLATE EXTRAVAGANZA BROWNIE CAKE RECIPE — by Catherine Morgan
Let me start off by saying; If you are not already familiar with “CATHERINE’S WORLD FAMOUS RECIPES”, it is probably because, up until now I have only posted one other, and that would be CATHERINE’S WORLD FAMOUS FETTUCCINE ALFREDO RECIPE. Since you probably are not familiar with my WORLD FAMOUS RECIPES, let me just tell you a few things up front.
1. My recipes are famous for being fabulously delicious, as well as, quick and easy to make. In the case of my Alfredo recipe; there is currently no “good” jarred Alfredo Sauce, so I needed to show you the quick and easy way to make it from scratch. What I am getting at is; If they already make it as close to perfect as it could be, there is no need for you to remake it. Examples: Spaghetti Sauce, Salsa, Ice Cream, Salad Dressings, to name a few.
2. I’m not a professional recipe writer, and I write it the way I make it. Example: You may be use to following recipes that say, a cup of this, a teaspoon of that. What I may say is, a bag of this, a small container of that. But don’t worry….I think it is actually easier to follow my way.
3. I encourage anyone making one of my WORLD FAMOUS RECIPES to make it their own. Example: (your name)’s WORLD FAMOUS FETTUCCINE RECIPE. Or, like in the case of today’s recipe; (your name) and (your daughter’s name)’s WORLD FAMOUS TRIPLE-DECKER CHOCOLATE EXTRAVAGANZA BROWNIE CAKE.
O.k. now I will get to the recipe. Well, not really, first I have to tell you how we came up with this particular WORLD FAMOUS RECIPE. Because, it happens to be a very good example of how something you make wrong, can be made into something deliciously right. A life lesson really.
I few years ago my daughter and I were getting ready for her Birthday Party. She wanted to have both brownies and chocolate cake. So, like any good mother, I took her to the super-market to buy the best boxed brownie mix, chocolate cake mix, and chocolate icing, we could find. Why make from “scratch” something that has already been perfected, right? Anyway, there is still a lot of work to be done, you need to follow the directions on the box, and make and bake it all correctly. And well, the “bake it” part is where I had a little problem on this particular occasion.
I’m sure some of you can relate. Did you ever bake brownies just a little too long? And the corners and edges get all hard? Normally that doesn’t bother me, I just cut off the hard parts and eat the yummy parts. But, since it was for my daughters birthday party, I got myself all upset because it didn’t turn out the way a wanted it to. Then my very understanding and compassionate daughter came into the kitchen and told me not to worry, she said to just cut around all the hard parts, and maybe we could put some icing on it to cover up the areas we had to cut. Brilliant idea! We all know where she gets her “baking sense” from.
Anyway, after cutting the brownie we both noticed that it was the same size as the two round chocolate cakes we had also just made for the party. Then it came to me! TRIPLE-DECKER CHOCOLATE BROWNIE CAKE. If it turned out horrible we would just run out and get a “pre-fab” cake from the store, but if it turned out good……we would tell everyone it is our World Famous Recipe. After all, most of my friends and family expect no less than for me to serve something WORLD FAMOUS. Well, you guessed it…..it turned out GREAT! So, now we have it; CATHERINE AND NICOLE’S WORLD FAMOUS CHOCOLATE TRIPLE-DECKER BROWNIE CAKE. Yum. Here is what you do to make it.
Go to the store and buy:
One box of your favorite chocolate cake mix (we like dark chocolate).
One box of your favorite brownie mix (we like double chocolate fudge).
Two containers of your favorite chocolate icing (we like dark or double chocolate).
Important Tip: Make sure you also buy or already have, all of the ingredients you will need for the cake and brownie mix.
Here is the fun part:
1. Make the chocolate cake using your chocolate cake mix. Bake in two round pans.
2. Use the brownie mix to make a brownie that is larger than the cake pan, (even if it is square that is o.k. since you will just be cutting it to size later).
3. Bake and Let cool.
4. Cut brownie to the size of the chocolate cakes.
5. Put icing on one of the chocolate cakes (top only), and then put the brownie on top of that.
6. Now put icing on top of the brownie, and put the second chocolate cake on top of that.
7. Now finish putting icing on the whole cake. Yum. Yum.
ALL DONE. You can serve room temperature or chilled. I also recommend “ala-mode”…..that means with ice cream….yum, yum.